Monday, January 28, 2008

Random Thoughts on Austen and Austen Movies

Since January 13th, I've watched Persuasion (2007), Persuasion (1995), Northanger Abbey (2007), Mansfield Park (2007), and Mansfield Park (1999). And during that time, I've formed many many opinions. I've done a lot of searching on YouTube, and I thought I'd share some of my goodies. Unfortunately the best goodies have embedding disabled. I think she (presumably it's a she) knew that if embedding wasn't disabled, these clips would go all over the place.

If you want to be absolutely terrified and scared off of Austen for life, then watch any of these clips from the 1986 version of Northanger Abbey. Clip One, two, three, four, five, and six. If you have time for only one creepy, freaky thing this week, make sure you watch clip #6. But your mind might need a bath after watching it. You'll need something to cleanse you.

[Northanger Abbey--the good and proper, the most excellent version is available on YouTube in sixteen splendid parts.]

Similarly, if you have time for only one wonderfully romantic video, make sure it's this fan music video for Persuasion (1995).


Music/fan videos for Northanger Abbey...





I've decided to make a separate post for my thoughts on the two Mansfield Parks. But here is a summary of my thoughts

Persuasion (2007)

Persuasion (1995)

Northanger Abbey (2007)

Mansfield Park (2007)

Mansfield Park (1999)

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I cannot believe how, despite every intention to watch these each Sunday, I have forgotten about each and every one of them until it was too late. I've heard alot of mixed reviews that maybe I haven't missed much, but I really did want to see Northanger Abbey. Ah well, it will come out on DVD one day.

Becky said...

Carl,

The 2007 version of Northanger Abbey released on DVD January 22nd, I believe. Of the three, by far, it is the best. I really really loved it. It seems to be the ones fans are most happy with. Based on my own opinions, and based on my reading of reviews on the other two, Persuasion and Mansfield Park varied in degrees of disappointment. I think for Persuasion especially if you've read the book, the movie is sure to disappoint. The movie's biggest supporters seem to be those who have never read the book and have nothing to compare it to.