Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Day in the Life

Monday's Happenings...

8:30 Woke up for a few minutes but decide to go back to bed.

9:30 Woke up. Ate breakfast. Watched Rachael Ray

10:00 Checked email. Went to publish the interview with Dianne Salerni

10:20 Wrote my review of What's Eating You. I'm really excited about this new feature in the kidlitosphere--Nonfiction Mondays.

10:40 Back to checking email. And more importantly, it's time to start reading all the blogs I follow. I use igoogle and google reader and jacketflap.

11:00 While reading one of the blogs, I discover that the Orbis Pictus Awards have been announced. Must post immediately!

11:15 Discover one of my good friends--Cynda--is online. Must chat while I have the chance. We talk about Jane Austen. :) Cynda is the founder and leader of a summer book club. This summer we're reading Austen and Austen-related books. Which reminds me, I have a question or a quest--depending on how it works out--I am looking for Young Adult Austen-related books. Excluding the new YA fictionalized account of her life. (We're already doing another biography and I don't see the need for two, do you???) I don't know of any offhand. I can't think of any Regency related YA books. So if you have a suggestion or two (or more) I'd be happy to get them!

11:30 A box of Scholastic books has arrived.

11:40 Celebrate when I discover the box of books :) They did not ring the bell or knock.

11:45 Eat lunch

12:10 Unpack box and make lots of squealy noises. Among the gems: No More Yawning by Paeony Lewis; What to Do About Alice? by Barbara Kerley; A Curse Dark As Gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce.

12:25 Go back to checking email. Try to work up the energy to catalog the newly arrived books. Decide that today could be a very good day to feature in the "Day In The Life" series.

12:40-1:05 Cataloged new books. (I use an excel document imported into google documents.) I'm *trying* to work up energy to catalog the library books I have checked out. You might be wondering why these tasks require energy. It's not the typing that is overwhelming. It's the carrying stacks of toppling books over to the desk and perching them precariously while I type that requires energy. I would need to create an excel document for this task. And I'm not sure this is the day to do it. Still a maybe. We'll just have to see.

1:10 - 2:00 Read.

2:00 Mail comes and brings two books.

2:10 Leave to go shopping. But it was an unsuccessful trip to Half-Priced Books. I'm on a quest to find Camilla by Fanny Burney and Cecilia by Fanny Burney.

4:30 Had supper.

5:00 Cataloged my library books. I've got 37 checked out, about six or seven are due Wednesday. After this was done, I began finishing watching Mansfield Park on YouTube. I *almost* got finished--only had one interruption (see below).

5:30 UPS made a delivery. It was one book. Noticed that my visitor count is now over 70,000! That's 70,000 visitors since March 17th, 2007.

6 something to 9. Watched 2 episodes of Stargate SG-1 (Season 6, disc 3 to be exact) and ate bedtime snack.

9 Finished the last fifteen minutes of Mansfield Park. Decided to write a post about Jane Austen movies AFTER discovering the scary 1986 version of Northanger Abbey on YouTube. This took quite a while--until 10:30--because I kept getting sidetracked watching both good and/or scary clips.

10:40-12:40 Read books in bed before going to sleep. I'm reading book 2 in the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. And I'm also reading the 2nd book in the Rigante series by David Gemmell.

1 comments:

Melissa 11:59 AM  

Sounds like a full day... I have to admit I'm slightly jealous that you get books from Scholastic, but then I'm not really putting the effort into it that you do, so I should just stop whining and find the time/courage to call them. Right? :)

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP