Thursday, January 31, 2008

January Firsts...


These are the opening lines that stuck with me this past month. See if you can guess the title. One isn't an opening line to a novel, but an opening line to a short story. I bet a few of them are a bit too obvious...

First the colors. Then the humans. That's usually how I see things. Or at least, how I try. Here is a small fact: you are going to die.

No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy would have supposed her born to be an heroine.

Who am I? What am I? Where am I? Saturday. I am almost a whole day old now.

There is a particular circle of hell not mentioned in Dante's famous book.

There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.

If the Bains had striven for years, they could have been no more successful in making their living room into a small but admirably complete museum of objects suggesting strain, discomfort, or the tomb.

4 comments:

Erin said...

1 and 2 are my favorites. WOW.

But of course 5 is classic.

Sarah Miller said...

#1: The Book Thief?

Sarah Miller said...

ps: #3 was one of Helen Keller's favorites. :)

(You see, I'm a commenting MACHINE now!)

Lisa Graff said...

I couldn't guess any of these! Five is awesome. :)