Wednesday, January 30, 2008

How Well Does Your Library Do?

28 Days Later (The Brown Bookshelf). As I mentioned in my last post, the Brown Bookshelf is going to be highlighting African-American writers and illustrators throughout the month of February. One of the goals is to bring attention to some of the lesser-known authors/artists. I thought it would be interesting to see which books and authors are available at my local library. To see if they're "up to date" so to speak.

If my library has one copy it will be bolded. If my library has more than one copy, it will be bolded and underlined. If my library doesn't have that particular book but does have others by that author it will be in green. If my library doesn't have any books by that author it will be in red.

Christopher Paul Curtis/ Elijah of Buxton
Michelle Meadows/ The Way The Storm Stops
Dana Davidson/ Played
Rita Williams-Garcia/ No Laughter Here
G. Neri/ Chess Rumble
Sean Qualls/ Phillis's Big Test
Janice N. Harrington/ The Chicken Chasing Queen of Lamar County
Eleanora E. Tate/ Celeste's Harlem Renaissance
Patricia McKissack/ The All-I'll-Ever-Want Christmas Doll
M. Sindy Felin/ Touching Snow
Jabari Asim/ Daddy Goes to Work
Mildred D. Taylor/ The Road to Memphis
Nina Crews/ The Neighborhood Mothergoose
Leonard Jenkins/ Sweet Land of Liberty
Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu/ The Shadow Speaker
Allison Whittenberg/ Sweet Thang
Walter Dean Myers/ Game
Tonya Bolden/ George Washington Carver
Troy Cle/ The Marvelous Effect
Eloise Greenfield/ The Friendly Four
Sundee T. Frazier/ Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything In It
John Holyfield/ Bessie Smith & The Night Riders
Carole Boston Weatherford/ I, Matthew Henson
Karen English/ Nikki & Deja
Irene Smalls/ My Pop Pop and Me
Stephanie Perry Moore/ Prayed Up
Kyra E. Hicks/ Martha Ann's Quilt for Queen Victoria
Celise Downs/ Dance Jam Productions
Shane Evans/ When Harriet Met Sojourner
Valerie Wilson Wesley/ Willimena Rules! 23 Ways to Mess Up Valentine's Day
Sherri L. Smith/ Sparrow

2 comments:

Paula said...

Ooh Becky, I like. It's like the 28 Day challenge. When I was researching I went to my local branch and the librarian was nice enough to go over my entire list of candidates and give me circulation and inventory information. The books they had least of and/or the ones not circulated as well were the YAs. It was very informative.

Your library seems to have a fairly diverse list since only one was in red.

Anonymous said...

Becky, this is a great blog! Like Paula said, we looked at the circulation of our local libraries and I was pleased to see that Charlotte-Mecklenburg County had many of the authors that we are spotlighting on their shelves.

Thanks for supporting The Brown Bookshelf here on your blog and by the very informative post you made a few weeks back.