Friday, January 25, 2008

Poetry Friday: Tribute to Pooh


This past week I reviewed Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne. It was one of my favorite, favorite books growing up. So I thought that this week's poem should be none other than "Anxious Pooh Song" by A.A. Milne. Roundup this week is at Mentor Texts.

ANXIOUS POOH SONG.

3 Cheers for Pooh
(For Who?)
For Pooh--
(Why what did he do?)
I thought you knew;
He saved his friend from a wetting!
3 Cheers for Bear!
(For where?)
For Bear--
He couldn't swim,
But he rescued him!
(He rescued who?)
Oh, listen, do!
I am talking of Pooh?
(Of who?)
Of Pooh!
(I'm sorry I keep forgetting).
Well. Pooh was a Bear of Enormous Brain--
(Just say it again!)
Of enormous brain--
(Of enormous what?)
Well, he ate a lot,
And I don't know if he could swim or not,
But he managed to float
On a sort of boat
(On a sort of what?)
Well, a sort of pot--
So now let's give him three hearty cheers
(So now let's give him three hearty whitches?)
And hope he'll be with us for years and years,
And grow in health and wisdom and riches!
3 Cheers for Pooh!
(For who?)
For Pooh--
3 Cheers for Bear
(For where?)
For Bear--
3 Cheers for the wonderful Winnie-the-Pooh!
(Just tell me, somebody--WHAT DID HE DO?)

And here's another one of my favorites, "Lines Written By a Bear of Very Little Brain." Again by A.A. Milne.

On Monday, when the sun is hot
I wonder to myself a lot:
"Now is it true, or is it not,"
"That what is which and which is what?"

On Tuesday, when it hails and snows,
The feeling on me grows and grows
That hardly anybody knows
If those are these or these are those.

On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
And I have nothing else to do,
I sometimes wonder if it's true
That who is what and what is who.

On Thursday, when it starts to freeze
And hoar-frost twinkles on the trees,
How very readily one sees
That these are whose--but whose are these?

On Friday----

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Pooh, too. When my son Gus was very sick in the hospital, my dear sweet dad bought a huge Pooh book for me to read to him. We didn't know at that time but Gus was deaf...but, ya know, I swear I believe when kids are sick like he was that somehow they hear and why wouldnt' they hear something like Pooh?! lol! Now that he's gone, that book is even more special to me! Thanks for sharing this poem...and for such a neat blog...I really need to add you to my sidebar! lol!

Anonymous said...

The 80th anniversary edition is still on the shelf above my desk. Thanks for the poems.

jama said...

Yay for Pooh! I posted "Teddy Bear" last week.