Sunday, January 27, 2008

What the writers' strike means to me...

The writers' strike is having some probably unforeseen effects... on my life. And probably on others as well as habits shift and attentions go else well. Good? Bad? Neither? Who knows...

Two and a half changes in my life...

1) More time for Stargate. As a few of you know--or a few of you may remember back when I had my love for Stargate showing on my profile--I love Stargate. I love, love, love Stargate. And if there is one thing I love doing it's stargating. I love to watch the seasons over and over and over and over and over again. This isn't all-about-me time, however, this is daddy-daughter bonding time. Right now we're on season six. This isn't *always* easy to accomplish. Fitting Stargate into the daily routine. Dad works twelve hour days, and it's not always possible to squeeze in a stargate. But it was completely unthinkable to stargate before the writers' strike--other than in the summer or on weekends. Now, there is plenty of time. And I am LOVING the Stargate fun.









2) More time for PBS. I've always had a few PBS tendencies. But they're stronger than ever these days. I loved the Pioneers of Television miniseries. (Though sadly that one is over now.) I'm starting to like a variety of shows I never gave a chance before. And sometimes they win out over old favorites like American Idol. And I am loving Masterpiece Theatre's Complete Jane Austen season. Chances are, PBS, is where I try first when I turn on the TV. The thing is I'm not even missing my shows that much. True, when Dancing with the Stars comes back on--I think it's March--I'll be going back to the same old same old. But Greys? Desperate Housewives? Not really missing them nearly as much as I thought I would. I may never go back.

But the biggest shock of all, I haven't watched either All My Children or General Hospital in weeks. Both shows had gotten to the point where I just couldn't take much more. Usually--and this is a fifteen year trend--one show will vex me greatly and the other will delight me. Then they switch places. And then they switch again. Back and forth. It is rare for me to enjoy both of them or to be frustrated with both of them at the same time. The lack of soap operas means one thing and one thing only--MORE TIME AT NIGHT to read, read, read.

No comments: