Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Chunkster Challenge


Dana at So Many Books, So Little Time is hosting the 2008 Chunkster Challenge. You can read all about it on her site. But I thought I would post the rules here as well. I like to be able to reference them quickly, you know :) You almost have to when you're as obsessed or crazy as I am.

So here are the rules:
  • To qualify the book must be 450 pps regular type OR 750 pps large text.
  • You must read FOUR chunksters (one each quarter), you OBVIOUSLY may read more
  • The Challenge will run Jan 7th, 2008 - Dec 20th, 2008 (the only chunky thing occupying my mind over Christmas is ME! AND I am using my foresight remembering my inbox on Dec 31st/ Jan 1 of THIS year when all the challenges ended). BUT any chunkster started after Jan 1 qualifies.
  • OH THERE WILL BE PRIZES - one a quarter. Prizes to be determined later ( so making the rules on the fly here, peeps). Think small and fun, not big and chunky.
  • Sharing reviews mandatory, format still to be determined.
  • Join by leaving me a WEE comment. I will work on a list of active participants to be shared here. There is a sign-up deadline of March 1st, so tell your friends and neighbors but only until then.
Here are the books on my list that I'd like to read

The Lord of the Rings trilogy (all three books count as one) by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Chronicles of Narnia (all seven books count as one) by C.S. Lewis
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Once and Future King by T.H. White
Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Others I may read instead or in addition include:
Camilla by Fanny Burney
Cecilia by Fanny Burney
I, Claudius by Robert Graves
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Vilette by Charlotte Bronte
Middlemarch by George Eliot
Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Possession by A.S. Byatt
The Count of Monte Cristo, unabridged in 2 volumes by Alexandre Dumas
Christy by Catherine Marshall
Savannah by Eugenia Price
To See Your Face Again by Eugenia Price
Before the Darkness Falls by Eugenia Price
Stranger in Savannah by Eugenia Price
London by Edward Rutherfurd
The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe

The chances of me reading all of these is very slim indeed. But the possibility of me switching out books is probable. Thus the listing of alternates. I might add a few more as the months go by. I'm thinking Stephenie Meyer will be releasing Breaking Dawn sometime in the summer/fall. And that one is bound to be over 450 pages.

2 comments:

soleil said...

the count of monte cristo is excellent. for a big book it reads really fast.

Unknown said...

Becky,
Sounds like a fun challenge. I received a copy of The Sweet Far Thing from the publisher and in all likelihood will not get around to reading and reviewing it since I haven't even read the first two in the series. If you don't have a copy already, I'll be happy to send you mine.
--Jill