Monday, November 03, 2008

The Spectacular Now


Tharp, Tim. 2008. The Spectacular Now.

So it's a little before ten a.m. and I'm just starting to get a good buzz going.

The first sentences does indeed set the stage for this YA novel which was recently nominated for a National Book Award. The narrator, Sutter Keely, often refers to himself as "God's Own Drunk" and it's not a bad description seeing as how he likes to drink all day and all night seven days a week. He likes to party. He likes to cut classes. He does smoke weed occasionally. And you can't keep him from telling jokes and stories. Sound like good boyfriend material?

Cassidy doesn't think so. Sure, he's a great to hang out with. But he's not that great a listener. And he's afraid of commitment. He's crazy about her, but she wants someone who's really to grow up just a bit now that their graduation is just a few months away. She wants someone who isn't always thinking of himself first.

After their break up, Sutter happens to take on a pity project. A girl by the name of Aimee. How do they meet? He wakes up in a stranger's lawn after a hard day's night of drinking (and driving--he can't remember where he left the car). She's the paper girl delivering papers. She's a nerd to the core. Loves horses too. Has big dreams. Never had a boyfriend. Sutter wants to change all that. Not that he wants to be the one to date her...but he wants to make her dateable. This is how he describes his interest with her to one of his friends:

"Hey, I told you--I'm not going to ask her out for a date. Let me repeat, she is not a girl I'm interested in having sex with. Not now or any time in the future. I will not have sex with her in a car. I will not have sex with her in a bar. I will not have sex with her in a tree. I will not have sex with her in a lavator-ee. I will not have sex with her in a chair. I will not have sex with her anywhere." (103)

Most of his friends disapprove of this project. After all, chances are he'll just end up breaking her heart if she falls for him. But Sutter won't be dissuaded. Show of hands...how many people think he'll end up being with Aimee?

The Spectacular Now probably isn't for everyone. There is a lot of drinking. A lot of drinking and driving. Light drug use. Definite language. Definite sex. Here is a guy with little respect for himself, so he does find it difficult to respect others. As long as he can be the life of the party, the class clown, the funny guy who can make anyone and everyone smile, then it's easy for him to pretend that his life is good--spectacularly good. But these good times can't last forever, can they? What is underneath the surface of this bad guy?

It's difficult to discuss this one without giving away too much of the plot. And while some aspects of the plot are predictable, I'd hate to spoil it for anyone.

Here is what the publisher has to say:
SUTTER KEELY. HE’S the guy you want at your party. He’ll get everyone dancing. He’ll get everyone in your parents’ pool. Okay, so he’s not exactly a shining academic star. He has no plans for college and will probably end up folding men’s shirts for a living. But there are plenty of ladies in town, and with the help of Dean Martin and Seagram’s V.O., life’s pretty fabuloso, actually.Until the morning he wakes up on a random front lawn, and he meets Aimee. Aimee’s clueless. Aimee is a social …+ read moreSUTTER KEELY. HE’S the guy you want at your party. He’ll get everyone dancing. He’ll get everyone in your parents’ pool. Okay, so he’s not exactly a shining academic star. He has no plans for college and will probably end up folding men’s shirts for a living. But there are plenty of ladies in town, and with the help of Dean Martin and Seagram’s V.O., life’s pretty fabuloso, actually.

Until the morning he wakes up on a random front lawn, and he meets Aimee. Aimee’s clueless. Aimee is a social disaster. Aimee needs help, and it’s up to the Sutterman to show Aimee a splendiferous time and then let her go
forth and prosper. But Aimee’s not like other girls, and before long he’s in way over his head. For the first time in his life, he has the power to make a difference in someone else’s life—or ruin it forever.
It is set in Oklahoma, by the way, which is refreshing. Not too many books do the whole small-town-in-OK thing.

Other perspectives: The Excelsior File,

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

JKB said...

I actually look forward to reading this, and thanks for your review!

I'll be certain to buy it - the drinkings/drugs thing doesn't bother me, and I'm excited to support another Oklahoma writer.

Thanks agaiN!

Debi said...

Well, you've left me intrigued...I have a feeling I'm either going to love this one or hate it.

Anonymous said...

I have this book on hold at the library which I did after it was nominated for the National Book Award. I did so without reading any reviews or even a description. Your review has me wondering if I'll like it or not. Hmm . . . we'll see.

Anonymous said...

Hey! My last book I reviewed was set in small town OK! but not really at all related...

Becky said...

JKB--It's not that I have a vendetta against books with drinking, etc. But this one has so drinking and driving... and it's the "and driving" part that makes me squirm a bit.

Debi--I think that too. Not about you necessarily. But I think readers will either love it or hate it. But it should appeal to those who can't get enough of books like John Green's Looking for Alaska. It read very similarly.

Natasha--I'm curious what you think of this one.

Bkclubcare--I do like the Oklahoma setting by the way. I thought it worked really well.

Anonymous said...

I just finished the novel late last night, and I'm really curious how other readers will react to the ending (which I loved). I agree that the drinking-and-driving, among much other questionable behavior, is troubling. It's also sadly realistic for kids like these, and too many other folks in south Oklahoma City. I loved the specifics of the setting, neighborhoods like the one where I live, and characters way more three-dimensional than in so much YA or "adult" literature. It's a great read.

Mary Witzl said...

I've just read this book myself and I was surprised by how much I liked it. Like other readers here, I found the characters wonderfully three dimensional and believable. Aimee, the nerd, was a real nerd and a wholly sympathetic character, and Sutter's friends were varied and unstereotyped. Sutter's epiphany was sadly a tiny one, but there was at least some hope that he could stretch it into something bigger. The drinking and driving drove me wild, though; I wish that had been addressed a little more, but the fact that the author didn't use this book to preach was what appealed to me most.