Friday, November 07, 2008

Poetry Friday: More: A Tribute

This week I am celebrating the life of my great-aunt Betty Peterman Owens (1937-2008). She was "Aunt Betty" to many nieces and nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews, and one great-great niece. She went to be with her lord and savior this past Sunday morning, November 2nd. She was well loved by all. I think she was everyone's "favorite" aunt. You didn't have to know her long to love her. There was just something about her that was easy to love, admire, and respect. She was a resilient woman with a big heart and smile. The teller of stories. The keeper of legacies.

I have spent this week listening to Andrew Peterson. He is one of my favorite artists without a question. I've been listening mainly to his new album, Resurrection Letters volume 2. And it was quite timely in its release. Songs about hope and redemption and new life. Songs that fortify the soul. But I've also been listening to his album The Far Country. I'd shared this song, "More" with Aunt Betty after the loss of her son, Tim, in 2006. So it's the one I'll share to celebrate her life with you.

More - Andrew Peterson

More by Andrew Peterson

This is not the end here at this grave
This is just a hole that someone made
Every hole was made to fill
And every heart can feel it still--
Our nature hates a vacuum

This is not the hardest part of all
This is just the seed that has to fall
All our lives we till the ground
Until we lay our sorrows down
And watch the sky for rain

There is more
More than all this pain
More than all the falling down
And the getting up again
There is more
More than we can see
From our tiny vantage point
In this vast eternity
There is more

A thing resounds when it rings true
Ringing all the bells inside of you
Like a golden sky on a summer eve
Your heart is tugging at your sleeve
And you cannot say why
There must be more

There is more
More than we can stand
Standing in the glory
Of a love that never ends
There is more
More than we can guess
More and more, forever more
And not a second less

There is more than what the naked eye can see
Clothing all our days with mystery
Watching over everything
Wilder than our wildest dreams
Could ever dream to be
There is more



© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

10 comments:

Sherry said...

Becky, I loved your poem tribute. But I don't have the round-up this week. It's supposed to be at Check It Out: http://maclibrary.edublogs.org/

Tricia said...

Hi Becky,
I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved Aunt. Your tribute to her is simply lovely. Thanks so much for sharing these lyrics. I am now going to iTunes to look for that album.

tanita✿davis said...

Oh, Becky, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'd love to hear the musical arrangement for that song; definitely going to look it up.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Becky I'm sorry for your loss. Nov. 2nd, All Saint's Day, is a great day to go on home in some respects! I imagine there was much rejoicing at the pearly gates.

Lovely tribute poem as well!

Jennie said...

I am so sorry for your loss Becky. Not enough people have been blessed to have an amazing great aunt, so they don't always understand the pain in losing one. May her memory be a blessing.

Serena said...

I would like to extend you my condolences for your beloved aunt. It is hard to love someone that brings along with them so much happiness and joy.

What a great way to pay her tribute!

Shelly B said...

I know how hard it is to lose someone you love. I'm glad you could find comfort through these lyrics. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Alyssa F said...

This is such a neat idea. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Karen Edmisten said...

I'm sorry about your aunt, Becky. Thanks for your lovely tribute.

Jen Robinson said...

I'm so sorry about your aunt, Becky. She sounds like she was a remarkable person.