Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Day I Killed James


Hyde, Catherine Ryan. 2008. The Day I Killed James.

Awful cover. Great book. It's too early to say if it will make my best of the best list, but I thought the writing was great. Theresa is a teen haunted with guilt and regret. James, her next-door-neighbor has had a big crush on her for years. When her boyfriend, Randy, breaks up with her just days before a big party--a party celebrating their graduation from high school--Theresa decides she can't go alone. James, lovesick that he is, readily volunteers to be her date for the evening. Knowing full well that she is just on the rebound. That she's just out to make her ex-boyfriend jealous. Theresa caught up in the moment is selfish. Her world consists of herself and Randy. James? Not her concern. Not really.

With a title like "The Day I Killed James" the reader knows what they're getting. And the book itself is not shying away from the tragedy. We first meet the narrator when she's keeping her journal for her therapist, Dr. Grey. We learn the story bit by bit as it's revealed over the course of the book.

Is Theresa to blame? Should she feel this heavy burden? Is healing possible with a life this messed up?

Other reviews: The Compulsive Reader, The Book Reader, The Book Muncher, The Story Siren.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Michele said...

Wow, this one really caught my eye for some reason (and you're right: it ain't the cover art!). Sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you reviewed this, because the cover art alone would have put me off. Now, I'm intrigued.