Friday, November 14, 2008

My Mother Is A French Fry...


Sydor, Colleen. 2008. My Mother Is A French Fry And Further Proof Of My Fuzzed Up Life.

I'll try to keep this one as short as possible. The jacket calls our heroine, Eli Smythe, "quick-witted, tightly coiled, sarcastic." I call her a whiny self-centered brat. So I didn't much care for this one because of the narrator's voice. I hope that Eli is just going through a phase, I'd hate to think she'll be like this when she's thirty.

My Mother Is A French Fry and Further Proof of My Fuzzed-Up Life is somewhat typical YA fiction. A teen girl whose relationship with her mother is very strained, very heated, very argumentative. A teen girl who is embarrassed by her mother--and to some extent her father--particularly because her mother is pregnant. And the fact that she's pregnant is proof that her parents--gasp--have sex. Something she doesn't want to forgive her parents for. How could they!

It's also typical in that the heroine's own first relationship is explored. Though how her boyfriend, JG (Jeffrey Geoffrey) puts up with her is beyond me.

Not everything in the book is annoying. There are some admittedly humorous bits. But generally this one wasn't to my liking. Of course, that doesn't mean that you won't like it. You may enjoy Eli's narrative more than I did. And you may be able to relate to it more than I did. And you may develop a crush on JG which could help you fall in love with the book.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

You have to love a review that includes the sentence: "Not everything in the book is annoying." Seriously. Thanks for brightening my day.

Kristi said...

I think I have to read this book if for no other reason than my sister's nickname for me growing up was French Fry...and I am now a mom to two teenage girls... who were 10 and 12 when I was pregnant with their brother.. Also - 12 year old is now 16 and our relationship is very strained!

Anonymous said...

umm i agree that she is whiny and in the begining o felt the same way you do but as the book progressed i reallised she felt guilty for the way she acted and turst me since i am a teenager i know the thougt of parents having sex is akward.
i thought that the end was great and she was really trying to be nicer.
i think my favorite character though not a main one was the counsller who still needed a ciggaret behind her ear.