Saturday, November 15, 2008

Weekly Geeks 25.1

Dewey wanted us weekly geeks to highlight some of our favorite books that would make great gifts...but she wanted us to try to focus on the less popular, more obscure titles. After all, how many times do you need to hear about Twilight?

1. Think about the books that you and people in your life love. It’s best to use more obscure books, because we’ve all heard plenty about the more popular ones.

2. Come up with categories, based on relationship, personality, or whatever else you like. I think this is easier to do once you have your books in mind; you can then just assign categories to those books.

3. Post your own gift giving guide! Add short blurbs about the books, just enough so that your readers can determine if it’d be a good gift for people on their list. Don’t forget to come back and sign Mr Linky.

4. Visit other Weekly Geeks, and if you like their guides, maybe add links to the bottom of your own.

Georgette Heyer. It doesn't matter if you're twelve or eighty-two. If you're a fan of historical fiction. Or historical romance. Or a fan of Regency romance in particular. Or a fan of Jane Austen. Or a fan of Austen-movies (Pride and Prejudice, etc.) Chances are Georgette Heyer will satisfy like you nothing else. There's something so very very satisfying yet in a completely wholesome way.

Georgette Heyer was a wonderful writer. A beloved writer, in fact, known for her regency romances in particular. Her books are rich in detail--but not in a burdening, cumbersome way. And her characters are always nicely drawn from human nature--flaws abound, but that's always a good thing. Vices and temptations abound in her works--drinking, gambling (be it at the gaming table or in a sporting arena), keeping bad company, and fashion to name just a few examples. (How is fashion a vice? Well, if you're too vain or selfish and spend too much time primping in front of a mirror, then chances are you're in for a comeuppance. Also, spending too much money on fashion--clothes, hats, gloves, jewelry, etc.--is just one way it can be a vice.)

My recommendations? I'll pick three that I feel a newbie could duly appreciate.

Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer. $11.16 on Amazon. Worth every penny. My review. "Lady of Quality's first line may not sparkle as much as Austen's famous one, "IT is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." But just give it time. Trust me. This one has everything and more that you'd expect in an Austen novel: wit, humor, romance, quirky characters, as well as a few genuinely likable ones...For anyone who loves Much Ado About Nothing and/or Pride and Prejudice, Lady of Quality is for you. It is a wonderfully giddy-making novel."

The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer. $11.16 on Amazon. Worth every penny. My review hasn't been posted yet, but I'll give you a sneak peek..."The Reluctant Widow surprised me. Completely surprised me. You'd think by now that I'd be used to how good Georgette Heyer novels are. But no, I can be a bit dense sometimes. What threw me on this one, is that it added some mystery and suspense--and some gothic elements borrowed from classics as well--to the wit and romance I've come to expect. I am not a big mystery-suspense fan, but this one worked for me. Really really worked for me. What begins as a case of mistaken identity...leads to well...the unveiling of espionage. Suspense, danger, mystery, and above all else wit." I loved, loved, loved this one. And this is probably the fastest-paced Heyer I've ever read. I COULDN'T put it down.

Sprig Muslin by Georgette Heyer. $14.45 on Amazon. My review hasn't been posted yet--I like to save some reviews for rainy days--but here's a sneak peek: "Sprig Muslin is an enjoyable Heyer novel. It's easily accessible, which isn't always the case, and it's a quick action-packed read. What kind of action? Well, more comedy than drama. And by action, I don't mean explosions.This is a funny, fast-paced, never-ending chase to the altar. But just who will end up saying I do...."

If you do end up falling in love with Georgette Heyer, feel free to sign up for my perpetual Georgette Heyer reading challenge.


I think I'll do my categories as different posts. Because this is hard work pulling it all together. I need a break :)

To see Weekly Geeks 25.2 click here.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not read any Heyer. As I like Regency romances, I think I wioll sheck her out.


Here is my WG #25 post

wisteria said...

I also have not read any Heyer and don't know why. Thanks for the little mini teasers. I think I will have to pick one up. Especially the one you love, love love.
Have a great week.
http://www.bookwormsdinner.blogspot.com

Janet said...

Great reviews. You made me want to rush out and get on to try out.

Louise said...

What a beautiful blog you have. I am not so much into the kind of books you recommend, but you made them seem very read-able and I really enjoyed reading your reviews.

Louise

http://louspages.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

I am reading Lady of Quality right now as my first Heyer. While I love the characters, the dialog is ALWAYS the same. While I love sharp, witty banter as much as the next person (for example, P&P), sometimes I wish these two would have a normal conversation.

Dewey said...

Hey, I love your new decor!