Monday, November 24, 2008

How To Be Bad


How To Be Bad by E. Lockhart, Sarah Mlynowski, Lauren Myracle. 2008.

How To Be Bad is a collaborative novel between three well-known, often-beloved YA authors. It is the story of three girls--three teens--three waitresses from a small-town Waffle House in Florida. Jesse is an uptight religious sort running away from her mom's diagnosis, Vicks is Jesse's best friend who is feeling more and more like a was. The growing distance between the two is unacknowledged, unspoken, but definitely present. Vicks has a boyfriend in Miami. He is also feeling more distant and lost than ever. His name is Brady. Mel is the third wheel. She's a hostess at the Waffle House. New to town. New in so many other ways as well. She's not really friends with anyone--but she wants to be. She wants to belong, to fit in, to be a part of something. These three head off on a road trip to Miami. Mel included only because she offers to pay...and because her presence will help disguise the tension between Vicks and Jesse.

This road trip will in many ways act as a catalyst for the girls' coming-of-age. Life. Friendship. Love. A few mistakes. A few embarrassing moments. A few fights. Can Vicks save her relationship with Brady? Can Vicks save her friendship with Jesse? Will Jesse ever come clean with the truth? Will Mel ever find a friend?

I'll be honest. I didn't much like this one. I guess I just felt the writing was bland...almost boring. (I've had difficulty getting into some of the authors' individual books in the past.)
I'm sure other readers would disagree with me in parts at least. Because I've seen this one get good reviews on other blogs. But it just wasn't for me.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Yolanda said...

I am giving away a book on my Blog would love to have you come enter if you haven't read it.

Sarah said...

I’ve noticed you like reading challenges – I’m hosting The Art History Reading Challenge. Check it out at http://www.arthistoryreadingchallenge.blogspot.com. Thanks!

PS - Awesome banner, by the way!

Charlotte said...

Hi Becky,

I too am leaving a comment that isn't about your post--I like your Cybils percent read widget very much!