Saturday, November 01, 2008

Weekly Geeks 23: Second Verse Same As The First

This week's weekly geek assignment is to repeat any of the first twenty-two weekly geek assignments. I am choosing to repeat my very favorite weekly geek assignment--#12.

1. In your blog, list any books you’ve read but haven’t reviewed yet. If you’re all caught up on reviews, maybe you could try this with whatever book(s) you finish this week.

2. Ask your readers to ask you questions about any of the books they want. In your comments, not in their blogs. Most likely, people who will ask you questions will be people who have read one of the books or know something about it because they want to read it.

3. Later, take whichever questions you like from your comments and use them in a post about each book. I’ll probably turn mine into a sort of interview-review. Link to each blogger next to that blogger’s question(s).

4. Visit other Weekly Geeks and ask them some questions!

Here are the list of books that I've read that I would JUST LOVE to have you ask me about.

Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing: Volume 2: The Kingdom on the Waves by M.T. Anderson
Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
The Humming of Numbers by Joni Sensel.
The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester.
Mousetraps by Pat Schmatz.
Shifty by Lynn E. Hazel
Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle
Ten Cents A Dance by Christine Fletcher
Ellie McDoodle: New Kid In School by Ruth McNally Barshaw

You don't have to be a weekly geeks participant to ask me questions...any one can leave a comment with a question for me!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Care said...

You amaze me. I probably should choose this weekly geek, too because I'm behind on my reviews as well, but I don't read as much as you!!!!!

I am choosing The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp and The Humming of Numbers by Joni Sensel to ask about. I don't know ANYTHING about these titles but they intrigue me.

Genre? Are they fiction? Why did you pick these? Have you read anything else by these authors?

Thanks!

Maree said...

I chose this one as well; I had a lot of fun with it first time around.
My question is about Ender in Exile, well, the Ender series really: Is it worth reading? Should I go look them up at the library and, given that I read a bit of sci-fi and fantasy, will I enjoy them?

Henry said...

Hey, I wanted to that you for coming by my blog during the Carnival! Keep coming back! I have several giveaways a week. I just added one for a $30 scarf todya.
http://nowenteringmomville.blogspot.com/2008/11/pashmina-scarf-giveaway.html

katrina said...

I haven't heard of any of your reads let alone read them. I'm doing the same WG as you, mine is here:
http://katrinasreads.blogspot.com/2008/11/weekly-geeks-23.html

Lightheaded said...

I'm one of the few who disliked Ender's Game but would like to know more about him. Not having read the rest of the series (although I' have bot Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide on my pile), is Ender in Exile a standalone book so I could read it without knowing the details of the consequences after Ender's Game?

Becky said...

Care--The Spectacular Now is YA fiction. Coming-of-age. Realistic. Set in Oklahoma, it is a tale of first love gained and loss. It would be a nice book for those that love John Green's Looking for Alaska.
The Humming of Numbers is YA too. It's historical fiction. Set in medieval Ireland. It's a *great* book.

I'd read Joni Sensel's first novel last year. But they're completely different. It was middle school fantasy. This was my first Tim Tharp novel.

Maree--Yes, yes, yes. Ender is definitely worth reading. The library would be a nice place to start. The novel was really my first introduction to science fiction. And I've been a fan ever since. While being a fan of sci-fi might help. I think it can hook readers who are a bit intimidated by sci-fi as well.

Lightheaded--

Ender in Exile could stand alone in a way. Though it would help tremendously if readers have already read Ender's Game. Even if that reading was years ago. But you don't need to have read other books. I think characters are mostly explained, but there are characters that appeared in the Shadow books. I don't think you'd be horribly lost. But it might resonate more if you'd read the Shadow books. But not essential by any means.

I think you might enjoy Speaker for the Dead. It has a completely different feel than Ender's Game.